Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tonight I attended the weekly Baha'i Devotional gathering at our public library. These gatherings are open to everyone regardless of religious belief, the only criteria I guess is that you need to be willing to pray with others. It usually lasts only about 30 minutes and is then followed by some refreshments. I look forward to these gatherings because somehow coming together with other people in the neighbourhood to pray for our community and to learn about spiritual themes that run through all the worlds major religions, creates a sense of kinship and unity. When I go home I think back about the evening, who was there, what was said and three things happen; it makes my spirit feel light, i feel a greater sense of responsibility towards those who live around me and feel a burning desire to get closer to the Source of this inspiration. Some weeks these feelings are stronger or weaker but call me nuts, they do make me look at my neighbourhood differently and I really feel better about the place. Maybe that is another reason why I started this blog.... it is only by participating in shaping and learning from the community, as opposed to withdrawing from it, that we can find purpose and peace. Certainly things are far from ideal and I think my head is screwed on well enough to know that the crumbs on this blog are but a single note in a global chorus. Nevertheless it is exhilarating to be in the choir!

After the Devotional gathering a few of us went out for dinner at Maestro restaurant. The dinner conversation topics were eclectic; from maintenance of aircraft to human rights to sharing bowls of spaghetti and ice-cream to nearly skidding off the edge of a mountain on a ski holiday to nuclear power to a cricket player called "Butt" to Homayun's new leather jacket. Thankfully we didn't have to solve the worlds problems then and there. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment